Friday, October 18

Roasted Cauliflower Pizza



For the regular or even attempted frugal shopper, Aldi is likely a familiar player in the monthly budget.  I honestly can't bring myself to think of grocery shopping before Aldi.  Of course, there is a learning curve.  Like the need for a quarter in your car/purse at all times, otherwise you'll be walking around the store with arms overflowing with food like a fool.  And if you have children, forget going to Aldi without a quarter.  You see, you need the quarter to unlock the carts (they're all chained together near the store)- this is one of the ways the store can cut costs.  No cart boy=less cost.  But it's incentive to walk that cart back to the store, too, that darn quarter.  Because you can't get it back until you lock the cart. And remember to bring your own bags, too. Unless, of course,  you're like my Mom and gather all the empty boxes around the aisles to carry your food in.  It's another way the store cuts costs- no bagger.  The cashier promptly (and I mean that, they're quick in there!) puts your groceries in your cart unbagged, and you must bag/box/carry them out of the store yourself.  I don't mind it- and Molly actually loves helping me bag the goods.  I like to give first time shoppers a little warning though, because honestly, my first time was so confusing!

So the real reason I shop at Aldi: the cost.  I get cereal for $1.49/box, apple cider for $2.99/gallon, and the produce prices, although changing weekly, will knock your socks off.  Butternut squash this week- $0.99/each.  Each! Not per pound! And cauliflower- $0.99 each! I'm a fall produce nut, especially when it's going to provide a meal for a buck!  Seriously, I've got some nice, cheap produce at home.  It forces me to cook more real food, and forces my family to eat more real food.  And it's inexpensive.  It's a win-win.

Onto cauliflower:  I love to roast cauliflower, just some olive oil and parchment.  It's one of those vegetables that's truly transformed by high heat for an hour.  And what better way to get your family to eat cauliflower than to roast it AND put it on a pizza?!  This pizza fit the bill around here.  My two year old asks for noodles or pizza most days, so I'm always searching for ways to serve her what she wants, but get her to eat what she needs.  This pizza is it.   And we like a Friday night pizza tradition.  So a serving of whole wheat + vegetable + cheese = a meal I can feel good about!







Roasted Cauliflower Pizza
//with garlic, honey, and a whole wheat crust//

1 head cauliflower
2 tblsp olive oil
sea salt to taste
16 oz mozzarella cheese
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup olive oil
Drizzle of honey

Cut cauliflower into wedges, coat with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and roast on parchment lined baking sheet at 400F for about an hour, until golden brown.
When crust is ready (recipe below), and oven is still at 400F, spread crust on pizza pan/baking sheet using cornmeal to keep it from sticking.  Pour 1/4 cup olive oil on dough and spread evenly.  Sprinkle with minced garlic, mozzarella cheese, and roasted cauliflower.  Drizzle entire pizza with honey (I used a very generous drizzle).  Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.







Honey Whole Wheat Crust

1.5cup warm water
1/3 cup honey
2 1/4 tblsp yeast (or 1 packet)
1.5 cup white whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour
2 tblsp olive oil
1 tsp salt

Combine honey and water in the bowl of a stand mixer, and sprinkle with yeast.  Allow to sit until foamy, about 5-10 minutes.  Fit mixer with dough hook, and turn on low, adding 1 cup of flour, salt and olive oil until combined.  With mixer running, add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough is not sticky to touch.  Knead for 10 minutes, adding more flour, 1 tblsp at at time, as needed to keep dough from being sticky.


Put dough in bowl coated with olive oil and allow to rest at room temperature until doubled in size, about 1 hour (I often turn my oven on to 200F, then turn it off and place bowl in oven).  Punch dough down, allow to rise again, 30 minutes.
Separate dough into 2 equal sizes and spread onto pizza pan using cornmeal to keep from sticking. Top with toppings and bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
Makes 2 pizza crusts.


It's another pizza Friday around here, we're about to get some cauliflower roasting.
If you haven't yet ventured into an Aldi, I  recommend it- I don't think you'll be disappointed!
Have a great weekend!

Lisa


No comments:

Post a Comment