Monday, September 16

Autumn favorite: pumpkin muffins



My family has come accustomed to my days off since beginning my new job (I work 12 hour shifts, which allots me 4 days at home).  A day off is a usually a day I bake (seriously, my favorite pastime). My husband loves starting his day with a fresh muffin, scone or quick bread. 

Today's chilly weather called for nothing other than my favorite flavor of the season: pumpkin.  This muffin is an adaptation from an old cookbook my Grandmother used, and I made some of my own adjustments to add some health benefit.


                        

This is my favorite healthy secret to baking:  white whole wheat flour.  It's the easiest healthy swap, because it lacks the dense, dark and nutty flavor of traditional whole wheat flour, but still allows some added fiber to my baked goods.  I pretty much substitute white whole wheat flour in all of my baking, except lighter cakes and cookies (but in those cases, I at least sub half white flour).

So here's our breakfast muffin, and I assure you- it was a hit!


Pumpkin Muffins with Walnut Streusel


3 cups flour (I used white whole wheat)
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup pumpkin (I used canned pumpkin)
1 cup buttermilk (I used low fat)
2 tablespoons softened, unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar (I used dark brown sugar)
1 tablespoon vanilla

Streusel:
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup flour (I used white whole wheat)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I bet pecans would be really nice here, too)

Preheat oven to 350F.  Prepare with cooking spray or line muffin pan with liners. (This recipe will make 12 big muffins, but in my case, 12 medium muffins and 1 mini loaf pan).  Mix dry ingredients in large bowl (first 9 ingredients listed).  


In separate bowl, mix brown sugar and softened butter until combined (the mix will not be creamy, but more like peas).



Add eggs and mix to combine, then add pumpkin and vanilla and mix until just combined.


Next, add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, alternating with buttermilk.  I first added half the pumpkin mixture, then half the buttermilk, then the rest of the pumpkin, followed by the rest of the buttermilk.  Do not overmix, just stir to combine.


                                  

Prepare streusel by combining flour, brown sugar, walnuts and cinnamon in separate bowl.  Using clean hands, break up softened butter into sugar mixture and mix until size of peas.  

Fill muffin tins with muffin batter, approximately 2/3 full, then top with approximately 1 teaspoon of streusel per muffin.



Bake at 350F for 18-20 minutes, until muffins are golden brown and your kitchen smells like pumpkin spices :)



                               


Welcome fall- I hope you stay a good, long while.

xo,
Lisa











No comments:

Post a Comment