Thursday, August 22

Fresh blueberry scones

Blueberries are in excess around here these days (and that's in no way a bad thing).

I've been planning to bake and freeze and can, but one little girl keeps eating my main ingredient.



However, I've had my heart set on making scones and managed to keep some fresh berries to myself.  I'm a self-proclaimed foodie, and I just can't find a better texture than that of a scone.  Obviously the amount of butter plays a role, so I've been holding off on making scones until I researched it enough to get them just right!  As much as I researched online, my Grandmother's old church cookbook had the best recipe (which I did tweak slightly).  These were well worth the wait!



Fresh Blueberry Scones

1 cup white whole wheat flour (original recipe used 2 c. all purpose)
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 stick unsalted butter, frozen and shredded/cut into small pieces
1/2 cup buttermilk (I subbed whole milk + 1 tsp. vinegar combined for 5 minutes)
1 egg, lightly beaten
milk and sugar for top of scones

(Okay, I read this in a 50+ year old cookbook, so it's obviously genius.  Grate the frozen butter with a cheese grater for best texture! Amazing.)

Combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and sugar in mixing bowl (I do have a stand mixer, but this barely needs mixed, so I just used a fork.)


Create a small well, and after mixing egg with buttermilk (or make-shift buttermilk in my case), add wet ingredients to dry ingredients.

Mix with fork just until blended, dough will seem dry but don't worry, the frozen/grated butter is on its way.


Just toss with fork until combined, don't over mix (per my 50+ year old cookbook's rule).  Put the dough onto a floured surface and knead a few times (I really just moved it around 2 or 3 times to incorporate a little more flour), or until it comes together.  Add the fresh blueberries and gently knead the dough (1-2 times) until combined.  Shape into a square and cut into triangles, or scone shapes!


Add to parchment lined baking sheet (apparently I'm out of parchment- I used an ungreased cookie sheet), brush with milk and sprinkle with 1-2 teaspoons of sugar.


Bake at 415F (again, I'm just following rules here) for 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.  Your house is about to smell like butter, seriously.  Enjoy with a cup of coffee- delicious!


Side note:  I'm obviously not a food photographer!
These are just the right texture, I promise- even though I didn't manage to capture it.
Happy berry picking, and berry baking!

xo,
Lisa



No comments:

Post a Comment